Friday, March 13, 2009

Good to be back!

It feels great to be in training again without all of those injuries. While I never stopped taking classes altogether, the injuries prevented me from Ukeing too often. They also prevented me from attacking with as much emphasis as I would like. For the most part I would attack but at all times I was more concerned with being in a position to take perfect ukemi.

Now that my body is almost entirely healed, I will focus again on clean and strong attacks. Even when I was injured, I would always ask myself if I can get out of the ground lock and if so, how? To begin with, I plan on going back to my usual squirming out of lose ground locks whenever they should occur. However, in the past, I would squirm out and just peek up at my attacker to let them know that it was possible. I now wonder if I should add a little something to that.

When I squirm out, I'm thinking of pushing or pulling a person off balance if possible. I'm also considering the idea of pushing/pulling the torre off balance as a means of getting out. I should note that my plan would be mainly to counter senior students or maybe even some junior students who might benefit from it. I wouldn't use this as a standard policy for every student on the mat.

No comments: