Saturday, February 19, 2011

Something new

Endurance training has been pretty weak for me in the last six months. I'm slightly better off than I was 3 months ago, but far worse off than 6 months ago. This really isn't where I want to be (in terms of fitness), but it does provide me with an interesting opportunity. A chance to act!

In the past few months, I've taken to the idea of doing everything uke or ukemi related as fast as I can and not giving myself (or anyone else) a chance to rest. Then as my heart and lungs race to keep up, sometimes all I can hear is the pounding in my head. It is then that I practice the most calm, patient and even bored look that I can put together. It was harder to do in the beginning, but I wonder what people see today. I feel more calm, relaxed and even bored while my body does things that it would do in a state of panic.

I'm not exactly sure where this will benefit me. I can imagine that if I relax my mind, my body will follow suit. I can also imagine that I may one day use this to bluff in a real fight. But for now, I can only tell you that it seems like it would have value somewhere. And it's a fun personal challenge to make use of my current physical condition.

No comments: