Saturday, November 21, 2009

Plateau - revisted

In my last blog about plateaus (Aug, 2008), I was able to distinguish what made a technique effective by understanding how the parts fit into the whole. With that, I figured out what was missing. Since then I've learned to use that as an analytical tool to find the flaws in my technique. Not surprisingly, I adapted it to find flaws in other people's techniques and nowadays I shift my balance or squirm away from them regularly. Sometimes it is to teach them, sometimes to protect myself and almost always to entertain myself! :) Luckily, the three are not mutually exclusive.

I have plateaued again. I find that I often hold onto too many things at once. As a result, I cannot process information fast enough. So, this time around I've learned that my most useful tool is to let everything else go. If I am consistently unable to correct my posture, then I will make that my point of focus in the next turn. Often this will translate into the temporary lessening of another skill. Occasionally it will render the entire technique ineffective and it will leave me in a compromising position. This is an acceptable loss.

When I find myself in that situation, I then do the exact opposite. That is when I hold onto my training as tightly as possible. I focus on as many things as possible and I do something (anything) to get out of that bind.


I can't explain why, but this feels like it will be paramount in my training. I think it is a good idea to be able to let everything go - even your strengths - when they are holding you back. I also think that it is good practice to attempt to put it all back together as quickly as possible.

No comments: